The LSSICE applies to any type of file or device that is downloaded to a user’s terminal equipment in order to store data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of these widely used files, which we generically call cookies.
Cookies (or cookies, in Catalan) are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that this information can be retrieved later while browsing the different pages that are connected to the server. who installed them.
Cookies usually store information of a technical nature, personal preferences, personalization of content, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Type of cookies
Next, a classification of the cookies is made based on a series of categories. However, it is necessary to bear in mind that the same cookie may be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the same editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher himself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they are not considered own cookies.
According to the activation time period
According to the period of time that they are activated in the terminal equipment, we distinguish:
- Session cookies: They are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interested in keeping for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (for example, a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data is stored in the terminal and in which it can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie and which can be from a few minutes to a few years.
According to its purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies is processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, access restricted access spaces, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the process of purchasing an order, make a request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements while browsing, store content for dissemination of videos or sound, or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the server is accessed, etc.
- Analysis cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for these to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the sites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the website, application or platform and for the creation of navigation profiles of the users of these websites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data made by users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in its website, application or platform from which the service is provided only according to criteria such as edited content or how often the ads are shown.
Advertising cookies on behavior: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies in the main web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted
The rejection of cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.
To answer any questions about how cookies are used, write the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.